Why it’s Important to Eat Hormone FREE, Including our Favorite Hormone-Free Milk, Cheese + Meat Picks!
Did you know?
You can find at least 11 different xeno-hormones in the milk of injected cows alone!
It has been estimated that 10 or more different xeno-estrogens can be found in the milk of cows injected with synthetic growth hormones, who also produce far greater than normal amounts of estrogen and progesterone levels since they are kept artificially pregnant for 10 months of the year!
(xeno = foreign).
We know from environmental medicine that synthetic hormones disturb the delicate hormone balance within each of us to ill effect. So when farms and factories inject animals with hormones (to make them grow and fatten up faster), that means those same hormones are absorbed into OUR bloodstream, contributing to troublesome hormonal symptoms (such as weight gain, anxiety, allergies, skin disturbances) and increasing our risks for cancer and other diseases.
In her brilliant book, The Molecules of Emotion, Candace Pert, Ph.D., (neuroscientist/researcher; discoverer of the opiate receptor in the brain) says, “only recently have we gotten the hard proof that the accumulation of these toxins in our bodies chronically stimulate our estrogen and testosterone receptors, putting them into a state of overdrive and leading to cancer. ” And If that weren’t enough, many scientists would tell you that these environmental toxins and xeno-hormones are actually making our immune systems less resilient!
This is why it is SO important to seek out foods that are organic and do not contain added hormones (always look for a label that is USDA Organic certified and says “no added hormones”).
For this week’s product swap out, we will be sharing WHY it is important to avoid hormone-filled meat, milk, and cheese, along with our favorite hormone-free brand for each.
WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT HORMONES IN MILK + CHEESE + OUR SUGGESTED SWAP OUTS
- Estrogen and progesterone are both found naturally in cow’s milk, but non-organic cow's milk contains these hormones in whopping (think: unsafe) amounts given that factory cows are kept pregnant for 10 months of the year to keep the milk (think: profits) coming!
- Recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) is a synthetic hormone that is injected into dairy cows to artificially increase their milk production. Research has shown this to increase levels of synthetic estrogens and the growth hormone IGF-1 in cows, lower nutritional quality during each lactation and increase somatic cell counts (meaning the milk is of poor quality and will turn sour more quickly)
- (so make sure the label of your milk states the ‘cows have not been treated with rBST’ or ‘added hormones’, or 'artificial hormones')
- Research shows that higher intakes of dairy products may increase a man’s risk for prostate cancer by 30 - 50 percent due to an excess of estrogens.
- Dairy consumption increases the body’s level of IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor) - a probable causal factor in breast cancer.
It's important to disregard any label that says the 'FDA deems there is no difference between organic milk and commercially processed milk' and move on to the safe stuff!
In addition to the risks associated with milk containing hormones, about 75% of the world’s population is genetically unable to properly digest milk, a problem called lactose intolerance. As a result, they have diarrhea, gas, and bloating after eating or drinking dairy products -- and it can be beneficial to have non-dairy, lactose-free options on hand!
YHB’s SUGGESTED MILK SWAP: MALK Organics
Instead, consider swapping regular cow's milk for a non-dairy alternative like MALK Organics.
- Free of hormones, antibiotics, fillers, binders, carrageenan
- 3 ingredients only: Organic almonds, Himalayan salt, Filtered water
- No artificial ingredients: free of dairy, soy, gluten, GMO, lactose
- No colors or sweeteners
This brand is one of the best out there because it doesn't have any fillers or emulsifiers like carrageenan which are common in non-dairy milks and can cause a lot of bloating and gut issues!
The alternative non-dairy milk we love is Three Trees Organic Nut Milks.
THE PROBLEM WITH HORMONES IN CHEESE
Cheese also comes from cows, so the same problems apply to cheese containing hormones, as those listed above for milk containing hormones.
YHB’s SUGGESTED CHEESE SWAP: MIYOKO's
Instead, consider swapping conventional cheese for any of the Miyoko’s products. Our favorite is Miyoko's plant-based mozzarella made with organic, non-gmo cashew cream fermented with live cultures for gut health!
- USDA certified organic (hormone free) + vegan
- Made from: nuts, legumes, and other plant-based ingredients
- No artificial ingredients: free of dairy, soy, gluten, GMO, lactose
- No fillers, binders, colors or sweeteners
- Fermented with live cultures for gut health
- No added sugar
WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT HORMONES IN MEAT + OUR SUGGESTED SWAP OUT
- Animals raised in conventional factories are not given enough space to roam free and build muscle naturally. Instead, conventionally-raised cattle are routinely fed antibiotics and hormones designed to make them grow faster and prevent disease. Studies also show that widespread use of antibiotics fuels the spread of antibiotic-resistant superbugs: a major public health threat.
- Hormone-free meat may be considered ‘tastier’ because animals stuck in crowded feedlots and pumped with hormones and grains (i.e. fatter) don’t develop the same kind of lean meat that grass-fed, free range animals do.
- Get this! In 2017, hundreds of thousands of Skittles were found covering a highway in Wisconsin, having fallen off the back of a truck overnight. The truck was apparently on its way to local farms to be used as cattle feed because it is a cheap alternative to corn. Skittles, Gummy Bears and other junk foods are sold to farmers to provide cheap carbs for livestock which is extremely unethical for the animals and unhealthy for us, perpetuating hormone imbalances and health issues! Read the article here.
YHB’s SUGGESTED MEAT SWAP: TETON'S
Consider swapping factory farmed meat for a product from Teton’s, such as Teton Waters Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper Burger Blend. All OF Teton Waters Ranch beef cattle are 100% grass-fed from start to finish and Certified Humane. They spend their entire lives on pasture, foraging for grass in the summer and hay in the winter. Grass-fed cattle make beef higher in healthy fatty acids and some vitamins.
- No hormones, antibiotics, gluten, GMOs or MSG
- Primary ingredients: Grass Fed Beef, Mushrooms
- 100% grass fed and finished, pasture raised
- Certified “humane raised + handled” farm animal care
**Keep in mind that there are many foods that contain hormones in them, so it’s up to you to become your own ‘food detective,’ read labels and ensure you are getting the best products that keep YOU and your hormones happy!**
Have an idea for a product you’d like featured or swapped out?
Email us at email@example.com
Interested in testing your hormone levels and getting started on an all-natural rebalancing plan? Check out our at-home hormone testing + consulting packages HERE.